Friday, January 29, 2010

I need more money!

Despite the title of this blog, I am not selfish. I don't need money for me. I have food, a home, a family, and even some spending money to go out occasionally. I have no right to complain.

But as I sit and watch news stories about orphans in Haiti I can't help but want to offer to take care of all of them. When I was growing up my parents took care of several foster children. I think it helped instill in me a desire to help everyone in need. I'm the type of person who would go to an animal shelter and want to take every single cat and dog home with me because I can't stand to see them alone in the cages. I cry when I think about all the children without homes, not only in Haiti but in every country of the world, including our own. If I had a house right now I would be begging Ryan to allow me to foster some of those children for a while.

I also wish I could help adults in need. Anytime I hear of someone having money troubles I have overwhelming urges to anonymously give them money, or gift cards to grocery stores (yet another thing I learned from my parents). It hurts to know that I can't help the people who need it.

I know you don't necessarily have to have tons of money to help people. I have volunteered in places like homeless shelters, and I donate canned goods and clothes to charities.... I just always wish there was more I could do.

Someday God will bless me with the money I need to pursue all my philanthropic desires. Until then all I can do is pray.

No comments: