Saturday, June 12, 2010

Here's your asnwers

A few people have expressed concern because of my status updates about Ryleigh's health "issues". Thank you for being concerned and caring about our family. :-) But here's the scoop. Ryleigh still does not have any symptoms of any kind. I know I have mentioned that I've been stressed out, but it's just due to the fact that I have had to go to the pediatrician about 4 times this week, the children's hospital once, and to LabCorp. It's a whole lot of running around to get tests done, and I get frustrated because I don't think the tests are necessary. Plus it is absolutely heart crushing to have your child labeled as, "failure to thrive". I cannot even put into words how that makes me feel.

It is extremely difficult to allow my child to be restrained while a phlebotomist draws her blood, and to hear her crying "mommy" wanting me to save her..... when I don't even think the tests are necessary at all. They are testing for serious diseases for which she has no symptoms what so ever! And I do not need to hear, "well, you never know, you should test just in case".

How would you feel if your child was perfectly healthy, never sick aside from a cold, hitting milestones at the correct time, and very intelligent. Imagine if your doctors told you to run around 2 states, make all kinds of appointments, just to test to make sure nothing is wrong when there is no sign of a problem at all. And then think of how you'd feel when all the bills came in while you are trying to save money for a house!

I am underweight. I have been underweight my whole life. I cannot gain weight even when I try. I have fast metabolism, a small build, and a small appetite. My daughter has inherited it from me. It's not a huge surprise to me that she in underweight and probably will be her whole life.

Ryan told me not to blog about all of this because I hate when people give me advice on a topic that they know nothing about. He'll probably get mad at me because inevitable someone will give me more advice that I don't want to hear. So, in order for my husband not to get mad here are the rules:

Do not offer me advice unless a) you currently hold a medical license, specializing in pediatrics, or b) your child has also gone through this same type of thing..... and as far as I know no one I know falls under category a, and I have already had open discussions with the people in category b.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reading your blog here in England......I have two children, one weighed 14lbs at a year, the other weighed 14lbs at two months....fast forward 18 years and I defy anyone to tell which one was which!!!! In fact the "underweight"one is probably the heavier. I still remember those "Isn't she tiny?" comments GRRR

Alison (fiund you via Shelly,via megan, via CF husband )

Micayla said...

Thanks Alison, it's good to hear that kids that "fail to thrive" by doctors standards do actually grow up well :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey I came across your blog through other peoples, but i think it was meant to happen. I went to school with Ryan. Anyway, I completely know what you are going through. My oldest daugther was considered a Severe FTT. She was and still is small, but hit all her milestones early. We were sent everywhere to get tests done and none showed anything was wrong. You know your daughter better then anyone. Don't let doctors get you done. I will continue to pray for you, Ryan, and your daughter. I know how hard it is just keep a smile on and let her know and see how much you love her.

Micayla said...

Thanks anonymous