Friday, April 22, 2011

So long, and farewell

Tonight makes the end of an era.
7 years ago I started working for the Sylvan Learning Center in Virginia. I started just as a sort of assistant, who assisted the teachers while they tutored the students. It was a good job for someone in college getting a degree in education. Eventually, over the next 2 years I acquired other roles, and finally moved up to being a teacher after I graduated.

Then came my decision to move to NJ. I decided the easiest way to gain employment was simply to transfer to another center. So I started working at the center in Philadelphia. I worked at a teacher/program manager/trainer/assessment test administrator/secretary/and just about every other role within the center. Sadly the pay just wasn't cutting it, and the commute was a killer, so I quit to become a preschool teacher.

But then I decided to try my hand at tutoring online with the Sylvan Online program. I worked as an online tutor for over 3 years. I stayed with the company as they worked through all the kinks, changed their name to Educate Online, and worked to get contracts with various large cities in the country. I enjoyed my job and stuck with it through 2 maternity leaves, and 2 summers of no hours and no pay whatsoever because summers are the slow season.

But now it is time to end my job as a tutor. I need to focus on being a mom and a wife more. I'm sad to be leaving, but so glad that God has provided us with enough so that I don't have to work anymore. And I'm so glad that I have a husband who would rather have his kids be raised by their mom, instead of earning a little extra spending money.

So, so long tutoring, it's been nice knowing you

No comments: