Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Weight check

Ryleigh went to the doctor's yet again today. Seriously, it's a little annoying to have to go to the doctors so often just to get her weighed. The results were not as good as I had hoped. She did gain 7 ounces since last Tuesday, but they looked at the growth chart today and realized she had still fallen further off the chart :-(

So, after getting grilled again about how much I feed her, and what I feed her the doctor said I should just give her 4 more ounces of milk a day. Which kinda bothers me because when the doctor asks how much she eats all I can give is averages. Yes, she usually eats a jar of food, but sometimes she'll only eat half, sometimes she eats a jar and a half. If she's hungry I feed her, if she's not hungry I'm not gonna shove it down her throat. It's just the way it is. So, maybe 4 ounces will help, but I kinda doubt it. Most likely she's just gonna be little like me and have to put up with people getting mad at her for it throughout her entire life.

But unfortunately she did not gain enough to avoid blood tests, which was my biggest fear because I hate needles and I hate seeing my baby in pain!! They'll test for hypothyroidism, and celiac disease (which will basically mean she'll have to stay away from gluten her whole life).

Just pray that she and I handle the needles okay, and that there's nothing wrong with her. I'd really appreciate it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't fret too much. My daughter went through the same problem when she hit the 5 month mark. She is a little over 2 and is just shy of 21 pounds. Her doctor monitored her monthly...there were months she didn't even gain an ounce. I started to doubt myself and think I wasn't feeding her enough but she really just wouldn't eat more than she wanted. When she reached the age of 1 and started drinking regular milk, she started to gain weight. She was tested for different things too...even went to an endocrinologist...nothing. I truly hope and pray the same is the case for your daughter. She's adorable =) I'm not really sure how I found your blog originally but I'm guessing it's through your SIL Shelly. Sorry...I promise I'm not crazy. Mom of 4 in NC...Kristen