Monday, May 24, 2010

A new perspective

This weekend, practically at the last minute we decided to head up to NH to spend time with my family. My parents, Laura, and my Nana went up with us.

My Nana has been staying with my parents ever since he apartment got flooded in the great RI flood of 2010. Despite the fact that we go to NH several times every year my nana has never come with us, so this was a fun first for her.... and then we discovered she actually had a lot of "firsts" this weekend.

Not only was it her first trip to NH, but my nana has not left the state of RI since '85, and that was only to go to Mystic, Connecticut. And she had also never seen a fire in real life until my mom built one in the fireplace! She's also never gone swimming in a pool.

Sometimes I struggle with feeling like my life is boring now that I am pretty much stuck in the house every evening at 7:00 because of Ryleigh's bedtime. I miss those times of getting to go out with friends, have bon fires, go to the beach last night, or go out to a restaurant late at night. It's a tough transition when you become a parent.

But this weekend I gained some perspective and realized that although my social life may be slow right now, while I have a young baby, I have been blessed to have all the experiences I've had in my life.

I go to NH, and RI several times a year. I've moved from RI to VA to NJ. I've been to 3 countries outside of the US, and visited 15 states. I've been on a cruise. I've been hiking, fishing, boating, and I go to the beach a lot during the summer.

And I know that some day I might get a social life back....(maybe when I actually get over my fear of calling people on the phone).... but for now I am blessed to have to many fun memories to look back on!

1 comment:

Deborah said...

So true. Perspective is an amazing thing. :)