Friday, September 10, 2010

A Parenting Pet Peeve

I have come to realize that one of my pet peeves about being a parent is having to answer questions that are directed at my child.

For example, someone will ask, "Ryleigh, are you hungry?", (or tired, or happy, etc.).... and then look at me for the answer. Why? If you start a question with my daughter's name in it, then you should expect her to answer, not me. If you would like me to answer then you could phrase the questions as such, "Micayla, do you think Ryleigh is hungry?"

And the key part to that phrase is "Do you think". I hate when people ask questions like, "Is Ryleigh hungry?". How am I supposed to know? Yes, I am her mother and I am in charge of feeding her and such, but really, do any of us really follow a normal eating schedule? There may be times when lunch time rolls around and you just aren't hungry. There may also be times when we are hungry 30 minutes after eating. How am I supposed to know if my child is hungry? If she is she will tell you.

And my personal favorite is when people ask, "Ryleigh do you need a diaper change?". Really, if you can't smell something foul then there is only one way to find out if she needs a diaper change, and it isn't by waiting for me to answer that question, because I do not know what is going on in my kid's diaper 24/7. The only way to find out is to look in the diaper! It's the same method I would use too, but if you're that interested in knowing, then you can be the one to look :-)

1 comment:

Deborah said...

I concur! I hate when Danny's throwing a temper tantrum and people say "Awww, he's tired, he must be missing his nap time." I'm like no, he woke up an hour ago, and ate a big breakfast, and had a huge poop. Actually, he's just being a brat and whatever is disturbing him at the moment is of his own doing, not mine, thank you very much! If our child really needs something, we will know about it. So if it's some silly excessive detail that we don't have time to be worried about and it concerns you so much, then do it yourself if it makes you feel any better, right? I totally feel ya on this one!