Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Grinches Stealing Christmas

I like watching the news because I like staying informed, but I am so sick of the negative spin they always put on things. The latest was how bad Christmas is going to be. Because of the poor state of the economy they are saying that no one will be able to buy as many Christmas presents this year, therefore, Christmas will be ruined.

I'd like to comment on that. First of all, I kind of hope it does "ruin" Christmas for some people. I know that sounds mean but I have a reason for it. In years past Christmas has been a time where people charge stuff to their credit card, therefore living beyond their means, and isn't that one thing that has lead to this economic crisis? I hope the people that have relied on credit cards will maybe learn their lesson, and will learn how to buy presents within their means, and how to apply that throughout the year to all their spending, so maybe we won't have thousands of people doing things like buying houses they can't afford and then not paying the banks back.

And the obvious reason I hate the news people sometimes is because Christmas is not all about presents.... or at least it shouldn't be. So what if people might not be able to buy tons of expensive presents like they want to. Why can't the media put a positive spin on things and realize that maybe this year people can focus on the true meaning of Christmas. I personally grew up in a family where half the people could never afford to get me presents, and I don't remember ever complaining. My favorite Christmas tradition is when 4 generations of my family crowd into my aunt's 2 bedroom apartment for breakfast. We all show up un-showered, in our pj's, with messy hair. There's never enough seating, and there's kids always running around. But the food's always good, and you gotta just love being with family.

(Ok, now I'm a little sad. This Christmas will be the first one where I won't be waking up at my parents house :-( I'm staying in NJ. But, I will be positive about it. Ryan and I will get to come up with our own traditions for Christmas morning. We have no idea what we're going to do, but it's fun coming up with ideas. And I am so excited about next year when we actually have Ryleigh with us to participate!)

P.S. Isn't it too early to be focusing on Christmas? Let's get through Thanksgiving first :-) That's my favorite holiday!

3 comments:

A Repletion of Reverie said...

Our new tradition will be to play a game of soccer before breakfast in the living room. :-D

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!!!

JerseyGranny said...

It's hard to separate fact from fiction when listening to the news media. But we know that Christmas is a time of rememberance of the gift that God gave to us two thousand years ago. The greatest gift of all!
Second to that is that we have each other...family. We are rich, not in things, but in love.