Monday, November 17, 2008

Classic Crazy

Because we are dorks, and because we love to read, Ryan and I have decided to read classic novels. These are books that we either were forced to read in high school and enjoyed, or books we've never read but feel that we should. They're essentially all the books in Barnes and Nobles "Classic Novels" section. So far I have gotten through 4 of them. Here's a list and a quick synopsis. (I know the titles should be underlined, but I can figure out how to do it)

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley: Man goes crazy after creating a monster that starts killing people.

The Portrait of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde: Man goes crazy after a portrait of him starts aging, but his actual body stops aging.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky: Man goes crazy after committing murder and trying to cover it up.

Slaughter- house Five by Kurt Vonnegut: Man goes crazy after being a POW in WWII and after allegedly getting abducted by aliens.

So not to sound like an English teacher or anything but can anyone see the underlying theme here??

I haven't decided which novel I'm going to read next but I would really like to steer clear of anything about a crazy person for a while. I'm thinking Little Women.... I'll just have to convince Ryan to read it too.

P.S. Another Christmas present idea is books :-) Just as long as you don't buy as Les Miserables because we own 2 copies and I've tried to read it for like 3 years..... it's impossible to get through.... I'd much rather just see the play, or even just listen to the soundtrack and sing along

2 comments:

Shelly said...

you should try one of my favorites--anna karenina--you know, to read about a woman going crazy =)

Anonymous said...

You might be in the wrong era!
Try finding novels in the Victorian period - no one went crazy because it was socially improper : )

But pretty soon you'll be reading great children's classics like Cat in the Hat and Goodnight Moon!!