Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Forget the past

Despite the fact that it is the last day of the year I cannot bring myself to reflect on the past. 2008 had some exciting moments.... like seeing the two lines on my positive pregnancy test.... but why waste time reflecting on things that can't change?

What I can think about is how much change is going to happen in 2009. We're going to be parents soon. And pretty much every married couple that we know is going to have a baby this year (slight exaggeration). But I am interested in seeing what's going to happen to our social life. I've seen couples who have kids and decide it's too much to handle and they just stop hanging out with people and become hermits. I've also seen couples who have kids and their lives barely change. They carry their kids everywhere no matter what. And I've seen couples that are in between. I am interested in seeing what type of parents we turn out to be. It's exciting, and scary all at the same time.

There's also other things to look forward to. We know we have a wedding in NH this summer, so we'll probably spend a few days up there. We want to go to Ohio. And of course we'll be going to RI. I am also really looking forward to when we can do things like go to the shore as a family. All this past summer I saw women walking down the boardwalk with baby strollers and I was so jealous..... I'll just have to learn how to juggle a diaper bag and a beach bag.

I'm also looking forward to how relationships with family members will change. The most obvious one will be me and Ryan. I know we'll probably grow closer, but I also know we'll be pretty stressed out at first. I've also heard that having kids brings you closer to your own parents. I'm sure I'll be calling my mom for advice a lot, and I know I'll probably view her differently once I know what it's like to be a parent. I'm sure we'll also be growing closer to mom and dad Weber since they're the closest and can offer more physical support than my parents can. Actually I am looking forward to growing closer to all of our NJ family. I am hoping for playdates with cousins, and maybe some bonding with my SILs over how to raise kids. I'm also pretty excited about seeing Amelie when she realizes Ryleigh is finally "out of the dark" since she's so obsessed with patting my belly already. haha.

Overall, 2009 promises to be one of the most interesting of my life.

2 comments:

Shelly said...

being a parent is THE best--we're so excited for you guys!
and we all can't wait until your little girl is OUT OF THE DARK =)

JerseyGranny said...

We can hardly wait for Ryleigh! And Dad and I are here for you...whenever and whatever.