Thursday, December 11, 2008

I might be crazy but.....

.... I'm thinking of not taking as much time off before Ryleigh gets here. As of right now I am scheduled to take 4 weeks off before the due date. I have been counting down to this wonderful time with excitement. Except, now I'm kind of thinking, 4 weeks is a lot of time. Do I really need that much time. So, in the fashion of someone many of us admire (Rory Gilmore, haha), I have made a pro/con list.

Pros to taking an early maternity leave:
1. I would have less then 2 weeks left of work!
2. I would be avoiding a lot of physical things such as lifting very heavy children, and sickness carrying germs.
3. I could sleep in and be a lazy bum
4. I could prepare for the time when we're going to have a baby by doing things like making meals and freezing them to be reheated during the more busy times (but the likeliness of this actually happen is very slim)
5. The weather could be bad and I don't want to drive to work in the snow

Cons to taking an early maternity leave:
1. Filing for disability and only making a percentage of my income..... Although, I would be requesting to only work part-time during the month of January, so I'm not really sure which one would be a better option
2. I will get very bored doing nothing for 4 weeks. The nursery is set up, the clothes are put away, we're ready for Ryleigh already
3. I will get lonely. I majority of the people I know will be at work all day, plus I will still have the 6 weeks post-birth of staying at home and not interacting with adults at all
4. I've been very active and a go-getter during this whole pregnancy, what if I stop now and crash on the couch and never get up again until it's time to go to the hospital? I kind of want my energy level to stay high so I'll have more endurance when needed

I'm just not sure what is the better option. I am going to discuss it with my boss. I'll find out if I could only work part-time, and I'll think long and hard about it.

One co-worker said, enjoy the 4 weeks because after Ryleigh's born you'll never have time to yourself ever again...... but 4 weeks is a lot of alone time!!

Ahhh, I just don't know. Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Shelly said...

do whatever feels right for you! i always was sad that i missed out on my pre-baby maternity leave time--it def. helps that you guys are all ready set up for R now though. working part time would be a nice change, i'm sure!

JerseyGranny said...

That's right...you should do what you feel is best for you. Can you use the 4 weeks after Ryleigh comes? That would be 10 whole weeks to be with her.