Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Yay! We're certified!!

For the past 4 weeks Ryan and I have been going to a childbirth class to help get us prepared for the upcoming big day. It's been pretty informative and I feel like it'll be reassuring to know what's going on when we're in the hospital. Little did we know that by taking this course we would get a certificate. Last night we toured the hospital and had our last class and then we got certificates for completing the program. Haha. So, maybe Ryleigh's just been waiting for us to be certified.....

I have to admit, I'm starting to get nervous, especially after visiting the hospital yesterday. They have a lot of procedures that I don't want. For example, they do constant fetal monitoring, which means I'll be strapped up to machines and won't be allowed to walk around like I want to. They also rely heavily on pitocin, which is a drug that speeds everything up, and I don't want it. Unfortunately nowadays giving birth is looked at as more of a medical procedure than a natural process.
There's so many drugs, machines, and medical interferences that are common place now that it gives women the impression that labor is something they cannot do on their own. I would much rather have a completely natural birth. I was reading in a magazine that when a woman is at home, surrounded by people supporting her, she feels much more confident in herself. She will realize what a natural process childbirth is, and will find the strength to do it. That sounds so much better to me than being forced to stay in bed, with doctors pushing you to get an epidural and take away from something that God gave me the ability to do.
I want to feel confident. I want to go through the pain. I want Ryan to support me and comfort me instead of being numbed by drugs. And I want the ability to have something to hold over Ryan, and Ryleigh's heads for the rest of their lives. Haha. How much guilt would I be able to elicit from Ryan if I take the easy way out and get numbed by an epidural? I would never be allowed to use classic lines like, "I went through labor to give you a daughter, the least you could do is buy me a diamond necklace". :-)
Ok, I'm joking on that last part.... a little....

I know I am naive about all the pain because I've never given birth before. But I also know that I would feel so much more comfortable staying at home and not being bother by all that medical stuff. Oh well, maybe next time :-(

3 comments:

JerseyGranny said...

Um...childbirth guilt may be administered whether or not you've had meds. I have used this guilt trip on my children many, many times...especially Ryan since he was the one who was the most challenging to deliver!

Shelly said...

congratulations on your certification =)

and to ease your mind--there is NO easy way out in childbirth--i can assure you that even with drugs it is quite excruciating. the good news--is that as soon as you hold your baby you forget all the pain--and it all just goes away. looking foward to meeting r!

Anonymous said...

From a mom that delievered both her children with no epidurals. You just need to stand your ground and tell the hospital what YOU want to do, it's your day, do it how you want. Now I don't know if they will hold off on the pitocin, or "some" fetal monitoring. I was allowed to be up walking around, but had to come back so they could do some fetal monitoring. Best of luck on your wishes.