Thursday, February 19, 2009

The final decision?

Yesterday I found out I didn't do well enough on the SAT test to be a tutor. I did respectably way back in high school when I took them, but since that was 10 years ago and I haven't done all that math stuff since then I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't do well enough to tutor kids. I'm supposing they want you to do really, really well if they're going to pay you 23$ an hour to guarantee that your students will get high scores. Oh well..... guess it wasnt the job for me.

So, after hearing that news I went back to the drawing board to think of ways to make money so I don't have to go back to Goddard. Then it hit me. I have a part-time job already, and it pays more than Goddard does! So, here's the plan. With Sylvan Online I currently have my schedule set up saying I will be available for 10 hours a week to tutor. But what if I change that? What if I put myself on the schedule for 30 hours a week? I'm not guaranteed those hours, but we did the math and if I teach for 12.5 hours a week I will make just as much as I would have at Goddard after paying Ryleigh's tuition.

So the plan is to be on the schedule from 3-9 M-F. That way I can have the day time to attend a mom's Bible study, go to the park or for walks, set up some play dates, get the laundry and cleaning done, and prepare dinner for me and Ryan. Then Ryan will be responsible for watching the baby, heating up dinner, and bringing me food while I'm teaching. It will also work out better than the SAT thing because sometimes Ryan gets out of work kind of late and if he's a little late I don't have to worry about what to do with Ryleigh cause I'll be home.... although if he's going to be super late we may need to call Granny or someone cause we can't have Ryleigh crying in the background while I'm teaching.

No other part time job would be ok with me just working in the evenings, and not working on the weekends. I won't have any commuting time, and I will definitely cut down on gas if I'm not driving to Voorhees every day. And Ryleigh can be raised by her parents, not strangers. It sounds like a good plan to me..... I still have another week to be able to get my 2 weeks notice in to Goddard, so we still have some time to mull it over, but it seems like the right choice.

2 comments:

JerseyGranny said...

This sounds GREAT, Cayla!!! And, of course, Granny will always be here to come to the rescue!!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan!