Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I'm learning fast

One thing I am learning about being a parent is that it gets tougher as time goes on. It's probably quite obvious, but it's a whole new ball game when you're going through it.

Last night was rough. Ryleigh did not want her dinner. So Ryan and I sat there trying to figure out what to do. We thought about offering her other foods besides the ones I cooked for dinner. But, we realized we don't want to start her on the habit. I refuse to cook dinner for me and Ryan, and then cook a separate dinner for Ryleigh. And why start her on a habit we'll just have to break later?

We thought about just waiting until later to feed her. But, it was close to her bedtime. And despite the fact that she is 13 mo. we still give her a night time bottle (I'm scared for what will happen if we don't give it to her. A 3 a.m. wake up comes to mind). So, if she didn't eat her dinner then she would just depend on the bottle, which we're trying to correct.

We sat there debating all the options for about half an hour. And in the end I took her out of her high chair and we played on the floor.... and then I started feeding her while she was playing, and she ate everything without a problem. So apparently she just doesn't like sitting at the table. So I found a solution to the eating problem, but I refuse to let her eat on the living room floor every night. I expect her to sit at the table and eat our dinner with us.

Is that too high of an expectation? I don't want to cave and give her what she wants just so she'll eat. I don't want dinner time to become a fight to get her to eat. I want Ryan and I to agree on a strategy but right now we just don't know what's best.

It wouldn't be so stressful if she didn't have weight problems! Then I wouldn't have to worry about Ryleigh + food 24/7!

1 comment:

JerseyGranny said...

You and Ryan are thinking all the right things and both of you are excellent in your steadfastness with Ry. I've seen it. Keep it up. Babies, children and teens will test every step of the way.