Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Bed Rest Blues

It all started Thursday morning. I started having Braxton-Hicks contractions. I figured they would go away. They didn't. They stuck around for a couple of days.
After experiencing contractions for about a day and a half I decided to call my doctor. She told me the contractions were my body's way of telling me I'm pushing myself too hard, and that I was dehydrated. So, she recommended that I "put my feet up" and rest to make the contractions stop.
That's pretty much impossible to do when you have a toddler, so for much of Friday I tried to relax but it was very hard to do.
Then the fun really began. On Saturday, I had so many contractions I pulled a muscle in my abs, causing horrible pain anytime I sat up, laid down, or moved. And then Alexander decided that Mommy's pulled muscle would be a great punching bag. So all day yesterday I pretty much could not move at all, and even when I sat still I was still getting beat up from the inside! It resulted in lots of pain and lots more tears! I was pretty sure I'd end up in the ER yesterday, until my wonderful hubby came home and ordered me to lay down and not get up!

So I was pretty much helpless, and let him take over.
Can I just tell you how much I absolutely hate not being in control! It drives me crazy!
Plus I hate being told I can't do something. And even more, I hate when people offer me help. It's like the biggest insult to me. I always think that if someone is offering to help me then they think I am incapable, and I hate being thought of as incapable!
So to sit back, "relax", and let Ryan help me all day was very, very tough.
I also let him do everything for me today. I spent much of my day in bed, or on a couch.

Thankfully with all that rest the contractions subsided. And by trying really hard not to use my ab muscles they are starting to feel less sore as well. And, Xander has moved around, so now he's only punching my sore muscles some of the time, instead of constantly. So I am on the mend and plan on going out tomorrow!
The only scary thing is I really didn't think I was pushing myself before. I thought I could still do everything I normally did, even with being 25 weeks pregnant... apparently not :-(
So I have to learn how to slow down, and rest more. I don't how I'm going to accomplish that, but hopefully I won't have any more contractions until the big day!!

No comments: