Thursday, December 23, 2010

Totally off the subject of Christmas

I know it's the eve of Christmas eve, so I should be blogging about Christmas, but too bad :-)

Today Ryan left work early because he hurt a muscle in his back yesterday, and felt like if he worked more it would damage the muscle more. So, long story short, he just needs to rest the muscle.
So since he was home he had the privilege of running around the state with me today. Despite Ryan being with me it was a pretty typical day.
I had to get a Rhogam shot, which is something every pregnant woman with a negative blood type has to get at 28 weeks. So we went to the hospital, sat in the waiting room, I got the shot and we left. Then we headed to my SIL house to pick up our portable DVD player so we have it on hand for our long car trip tomorrow. Next was the MVC to get a new registration for my car since I lost mine. (Oops!). Then we went to the library to rent DVDs for the trip. Last was a trip to the dollar store for cheapo snacks for the trip.

Pretty typical busy errands kind of day for a SAHM, right? Not to mention the packing, cleaning, and preparing for being out of state for 6 days.

Well, after I finished work in the evening Ryan made a comment about how he felt like we didn't do anything today, and how unproductive we were.

Ahh!

I felt the flood of those same emotions I felt when I was first trying to adjust to staying at home instead of working. The feeling of accomplishment, lack of meaning in my life, boredom, etc.

And I am happy to say, I have come a long way from those days, and now feel a sense of accomplishment in staying home.

I have a somewhat active social life. Yes, most of it happens within church activities, and I don't leave the house in the evening because of my work schedule, but I usually have a playdate or 2 each week. My daughter is doing well, and learning a lot from me. She's starting to use full sentences, she knows almost all her letters (except for W and S), and can identify all her numbers 0-9. She's getting really good at figuring out what letter words start with too! I also am doing pretty good with keeping out with my household. There's always food in the fridge and cupboards at least. And, I now work 2 part-time jobs.
All in all I'd say my life is full.

Maybe Ryan will learn that staying at home can be fulfilling too... he has 10 days of trying it at least!

No comments: