Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I want Mommy

All day long, all Ryleigh says is, "I want Mommy".

It doesn't matter if we are in the same room together. She still whines and says she wants me. Sometimes we could be sitting on the couch together and she'll say it. Frankly, it's really driving me crazy!

It's almost like a separation anxiety thing... but not really. She has no problems at all when I drop her off in her class at church. She barely even acknowledges that I am leaving. It's only a problem when we're home.
I don't know if it's a phase or not.

I know there are times when I am with her, but emotionally unavailable. For example, when I am cooking dinner and she starts tugging on my pants, asking me to hold her. I explain to her that mommy is busy, I need to cook dinner, and then Ryan will usually take her out of the kitchen. She absolutely flips out. But I feel that it is important for her to learn that I cannot constantly be paying attention to her 24/7. Sometimes she even tries demanding that I don't take a shower.... obviously I am not going to give into a 2 year old's demands and I shower, but it's hard to enjoy my time with her crying at the door.

When I am not busy I make sure to spend quality time with her. Today we were kinda snowed in. I made a decision to not rely on the tv at all, so we kept it off. Ryleigh and I spent the day drawing pictures, doing puzzles, playing with her puzzles, and baking an apple pie together. We even took a nap together which is something we haven't done since she was about 2 months old. (she doesn't sleep well with others).

You would think that after so much time together she wouldn't cry for me later, right? Wrong. Even now as I am teaching she's whining for me.

It just doesn't make sense. We are never apart. Even when I am at work I'm still at home. Is she feeling like I am going to abandon her? She shouldn't be feeling the need to have physical contact with me 24/7, right?
This was how I was expecting her to react after the baby is born, not before :-(

Any of you expert moms have any advice? Or any reassurance that this is just a phase and it will be over soon!

No comments: